The Swedish Association of Environmental Health Professionals is an organization which was founded in 1920 for professionals working in the field of Environment and Health protection.
We have approximately 700 members mostly employed by Local Government but also by National Government at regional or central level as well as by institutions or in private enterprise.
Most of our members have a special education as Environmental Health Inspectors which nowadays is a 4 year degree level education provided by the Universities of Lund, Stockholm and Umeå. However many have alternative educations within the field of biology, chemistry or other natural sciences or are civil engineers.
We hold a Congress every second year at which the Chairman and the Council consisting of 7 members are elected. The Council has the full responsibility to run the affairs in-between the Congresses. The congress coincides with the Environment and Health Days which are held every year.
There are Working Committees covering special subjects i e Environment and Health Management, Food Hygiene, Animal welfare and Third World Aid.
We publish a periodical journal called "Miljö&Hälsa" (Environment and Health) 8-10 times a year.
The association is not a trade union but cooperate with the two main trade unions catering to personnel within Environment and Health.
The association is run on an honorary basis and has no employed staff.
The Charter and Action Programme states that the association shall
- work for a suitable basic education, a comprehensive further training and specialized advanced education for Environmental Health professionals
- currently inform their members about Environmental and Health issues by organizing courses and seminars and by publishing a periodical Journal.
- look after and safeguard it's members professional interests both as a group and as individuals.
- work for an appropriate organisation and other resources to ensure efficient and strong Environment and Health protection work
- work for an adjustment and up-dating to current needs of Environment and Health legislation and directions
- work for applied research within the field
- work for better Environment and Health protection and promote the status and importance of Environmental Health work and issues.